I've experienced several periods of depression throughout my adult life, and while prescription drugs have proved helpful, I've been keen to explore drug-free ways to manage and treat my depression. I started this blog to share my personal experience battling this illness and the alternative treatment options I've tried, including dietary supplements, talking therapies, meditation, relaxation exercises, massage and acupuncture. I also post about current research on the effectiveness of holistic therapies at treating depression, and the blog contains guest posts written by others with depression who have tried drug-free treatments. I hope you find the information on this blog useful.
Christmas can be the most wonderful time of the year for you and your children—as long as you take precautions to keep everyone safe. Here are three tips related to risk reduction and first aid that will help keep your child out of the ho-ho-hospital this festive season.
Buy Age-Appropriate Gifts
Watching your children open all their toys is one of the biggest joys of Christmas for any parent. However, when buying those toys, it's crucial that you make sure they're age-appropriate. Toys made for older children often contain small parts that young children could choke on, cords that they could strangle themselves with and other similar hazards. Toys that could be dangerous for young children will have an age rating on the packaging, so make sure you follow that guideline diligently. On top of that, make sure you instruct your older children to keep their toys away from their younger siblings.
Keep Nuts and Lollies Out of Reach
Many families keep bowls of nuts and lollies out on the table during the festive season. Is your family one of them? If so, remember to ensure these bowls are well out of the reach of your younger children. Small, hard foods like this can easily get lodged in the throat and cause your child to begin choking. While the risk is greatest with children under 3, note that even your older children can still accidentally choke on these foods. To keep them safe, make sure you know the right first aid to administer during a choking incident. Never try to get a piece of food out of your child's throat with your finger, as this can push it further in. Instead, get someone to call 000 and perform the Heimlich manoeuvre. If you don't know how to perform the Heimlich, consider taking a first-aid course.
Close the Kitchen Off
Nothing tastes more delicious than a Christmas dinner, but preparing the family feast can be hectic. As such, it's important that you keep your child away from all this hustle and bustle to avoid them getting hurt. Hot pots and pans can cause serious burns and scalds if a young child unknowingly pulls them off the counter. If your kitchen has a door, make sure you keep it closed while dinner is cooking. If you only have an archway, use a stair gate to block access. For open-plan kitchens, it's best to have a family member play with your children in the yard or in their rooms. If your child does accidentally get burned, the best thing to do is remove any clothing around the burn as long as it's not stuck to the skin, cool it with cool (not freezing cold) running water for 20 minutes, then cover the burn with cling film. If the burn is very large (bigger than your child's hand), blistered, white or charred, it's important to get to the emergency department as soon as possible.
For more information about how to treat injuries or other medical problems, take a first-aid course today.Share
5 December 2019